« Home | Monday, Monday..... » | Church Shopping » | Ten Bucks....... » | Macbook » | I'm Back! » | Wow...I've posted » | Re-Thinking Church » | Jack Bauer School of Ministry » | Updated Blogroll » | Global Warming » 

Saturday, June 10, 2006 

Coming out

I have a confession to make. I really get into the World Cup. This is something that I have kept in the closet ever since the World Cup was here in 1994. Like most American's of my age, the only background I had in soccer was P.E. class. I'm not even sure that my High School has a Soccer team! But that all changed in 1994. I found the entire World Cup thing to be totally fascinating. And ever since then, I have somewhat followed it. Now, I am no where near as fanatic as most fans are around the world, but at least I'm paying attention (that is better then most Americans!) For what it's worth, I also follow the Chicago Fire and I have been to a few non-AYSO soccer games in my life (mostly college).

I remember a few years ago when I was in Atlanta, there was this guy who went to our church (his name escapes me) who was from South Africa. The rugby World Cup was going on at the time and he was really into it. So much so, that he would drive into Atlanta every morning that the South African team was playing to watch the games at a rugby friendly pub (they were usually on at 4:00am). He really got into this and helped me to see how global this thing was....how it was like the entire world coming together....in a way that was bigger and more meaningful then the Olympics. That was rugby....I have come to find that soccer is even more so. When this thing is going on it feels like the entire world is coming together....not out of peace and love, but to try to beat the snot out of one another on the field. I really get into that...and I enjoy watching the game as well.

So, for the next month, I will be rooting on team US (by the way, you know, we really have a shot this year, although Brazil, England or Germany probably have a better shots) and watching a lot of soccer (or is it football) with the rest of the world. Perhaps later this year, I might even go to a Chicago Fire game.

There, that feels so.....so....liberating.

I have to say, I've never been much into soccer... but I respect those who are. There are quite a few Chicago bars (granted, I only know of the Irish themed ones) that stay open or open early for soccer, cricket, and God knows what other American-unknown sports. These are die-hard fans who wake up (or stay up!) to see these games... what dedication. I have to say, if I moved somewhere where baseball was obscure I would be the first one in the bar at 4:00 to see the Sox play. Or any American baseball if I was so deprived.

Good for you for "coming out."

Post a Comment
Locations of visitors to this page
Add to Google
Follow JoeHolda on Twitter
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates