« Home | On the side... » | What makes a church? » | Bethlehemain Rhapsody » | Mike Breen on the corporate church » | It's time.... » | Acts 9:31-42 » | Acts 9:1-31 » | Happy Birthday » | It's Saturday! » | LinkedIn » 

Monday, January 30, 2012 

Google

I'm thinking about moving this blog off blogger.  Many of folks that I know have moved to WordPress - I've talked to Cindy and she likes it better then her old blogger account.  It just seems like it will be such a hassle to get things moved over there.

This really wasn't on my radar, but Google's new privacy policies have me concerned.  I know it is probably much to do about nothing, but I really don't like being indexed (yes, I know, every one is doing it, but that doesn't mean that I have to like it.) So, I'm slowing migrating from Google. (For what it's worth, I think blogger has gone downhill since Google took it over.)

What this is bringing up in me again is my frustrations regarding my browser's homepage.  A few years ago, I made my browser's homepage the BBC.  It was wonderful.  I was able to customize it and I could get everything I wanted.  You see, I'm a news junkie.  But I want news from an international perspective.  I have friends all over the world and I want to know what is going on in their neck of the woods.  The customizable BBC page was wonderful (and I could get soccer news as well - bonus!)  But then they took the clock away (you BBC users know what I'm talking about) - but it was still good.  Then they took all the customization's away.  Now you get news geared to where you live which is probably what most folks want, but it's not what I want.  I know I can dig into the BBC to find more, but I'm lazy - I want headlines.  I want to be able to browse the headlines quickly, then click in to read things that I'm interested in.  I don't want to spend time searching for stuff.

Sometime in 2011, I bit the bullet and left the BBC to (you guessed it) GoogleNews.  I could customize.  I could get what I want.  It seems like a good fit (although Google's interface drives me crazy).  That brings us back to indexing.  They want to give you the news (and ads) that they think you will be interested it (based on your browser history and other information that they get).  I don't want that.  I want to discover things that I didn't know I was interested in.  I know that in theory the algorithm is supposed to know what I want better then I do, but I have noticed over the past several weeks that my GoogleNews page seems to be in a rut.  I can't explain it, it just feels like something is missing.

I've spent the past few days figuring out what to do.  I've looked at CNN, WN.com, and even my old Yahoo page.  None of them really float my boat.  I just want my old BBC clock back.  Is that really too much to ask for?

I like wordpress better than blogger. I always have.

Although I have moved on from wordpress.com to several self-hosted wordpress websites.

I think it is fairly easy to import your blogger stuff into a wordpress account.

After setting up your new wordpress blog just go here: http://whatevertheheckyoucallyournewblog.wordpress.com/wp-admin/admin.php?import=blogger

Follow the instructions! :-)

Just make sure to tell us all where you moved to!

:-)

Jon

Although, unfortunately some coffee company already has your subdomain on wordpress!

Here: http://cupajoe.wordpress.com/

Dang!

Post a Comment
Locations of visitors to this page
Add to Google
Follow JoeHolda on Twitter
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates