« Home | Sunday bloody sunday » | Thoughts about the curse... » | Uggh!!!! » | Father of Lights » | Whose Image? » | Oh, look at the time.... » | Great question.... » | Getting back into the swing.... » | Who knew???? » | Embracing my inner geek » 

Monday, November 05, 2012 

System Update

I'm back.  Since my last post, I've had numerous computer problems that have prevented me from actually blogging (plus, I'm lazy).  It's been a season where anything that could go wrong computer wise (as well as other wise) would go wrong.  Water and milk destroying two computers, a cracked laptop screen on another, flames shooting out of the back of yet another...needless to say, by the beginning of August, I no longer had a working computer at my disposal.  So I did what any other poor church planter would do - I put a plea for help on facebook.    

Cindy's dad heard the call and gave me an old laptop of his that had "issues".  He said the screen was dimming so bad that he could no longer see it, so he went out and bought a new computer.  The laptop was an old Dell Vostro 1000 with 1 gig internal and a 100 gig (aprox) hard drive.  I turned it on, the screen was dim and I got numerous battery errors as the Windows XP logo came on.  The dim screen was a software issue (cost $0).  The battery errors were due to an out of date BIOS issue (updated BIOS cost $0).  I cannibalized some of the broken computers to up my memory to 2 gigs and put Ubuntu 12.03 LTS on it (cost for memory and operating system $0).  I discovered along the way that this thing has a 64 bit processor in it (AMD Athlon X2) and although Dell says it can only take 2 gigs, with the new 64 bit operating systems, many other users have put more in successfully (planing on upping it to 4 gigs in the near future).

So for a total cost of $0, I have a pretty decent computer - much better then the last one that was shooting flames out of the back of it.  My excuse for not posting is now gone.  Now we just need to see what I do next.

Data Ninja Services is one of South Florida’s leading Information Technology companies. Our qualified and experienced technicians are committed to providing effective and reliable solutions to meet your every need. Computer repairs, virus removal and data backup are just a few of the many services we offer. With Data Ninja Services, your technology troubles disappear. Call us at (954) 801-3300 or visit our website www.dataninjaservices.com

Post a Comment
Locations of visitors to this page
Add to Google
Follow JoeHolda on Twitter
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates