« Home | Cindy and I had dinner with Rand and Amy Tucker ye... » | I often wonder how people like Jordon Cooper do it... » | I found this on Mark Riddle's blog. I find myself... » | Hi, my name is Joe Holda and this is my blog! My ... » | So here it begins....... » 

Friday, June 06, 2003 

I'm sitting here, looking out my window, watching the soybeans grow. I should be working, but most of our network just came crashing down. So that gives me plenty of time to sit, think, and watch soybeans.....

Cindy’s sister called last night. She is searching, trying to find God and figure out what it all means. She just read the book of John and called with questions, lots of questions. Most were stuff that I had never thought about…ways that God is unfair or offending. While she was talking to my wife about this, I was surfing through a lot of “post-modern Christian” blogs. I found myself getting really depressed as the night went on. On one hand, I was listening to my wife attempt to answer her sister’s questions. The problem was that her sister was looking at God not as a person to build a relationship with, but as a concept or an organization to join. Cindy spent a lot of time trying to explain that it is about relationships…with God, with Jesus, with others…not just an organization or political party or something like that. At least that’s what I think she wanted to say…I’m not sure if she was successful or not.

On the other hand, I started to look through all these blogs. And what I found out was that they were all asking the same questions…everyone seemed to be searching…looking for the best way, structure, or technique to get closer to God…to be more authentic in this emerging generation. While everyone was doing this, I felt like they were all alone in their searching. Now I know many of them are in churches or communities…some vibrant. But it seemed like they were searching by themselves…I’m not sure how to explain it, it just seemed very depressing.

We seem to have all the questions figured out…we just don’t have any answers. Is that what it is supposed to be about, just asking questions? I know that we only know in part, but is our God supposed to be a mystery at all times…is He supposed to be this great question that we are to continually ponder, like a bunch of Greek philosophers? I always thought that we were supposed to follow after God like little children. My kids don’t take the time to ask these huge questions before they do stuff, they just go and do it. Perhaps that’s what we are supposed to do, just go after God, go after Jesus, go after the Holy Spirit, go after other believers, go after other non-believers and just do it…build relationships, love other people and Love God. Maybe that’s what it is supposed to look like.

Perhaps I need to think about that a bit more…

Locations of visitors to this page
Add to Google
Follow JoeHolda on Twitter
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates