« Home | I'm turning into such a geek....I just started run... » | Ignore my previous post....Just when you think eve... » | Never actually realized that anyone other then me ... » | The church's web hosting service has decided to go... » | It's Saturday....it's 9pm. I'm waiting for Cindy t... » | Once again, I start a post with "Well, it's been a... » | I need to start posting more...things have been re... » | BTW - I have some Gmail invites. E-mail my Gmail a... » | I'm not sure why I'm so fascinated by the entire P... » | I've really been feeling like something has been m... » 

Wednesday, August 17, 2005 

.

Scott McKnight has an interesting story about a meeting with FF Bruce on his blog.  

“The reason I bring this up is that I asked Professor Bruce, because I had an audience with him, about women and ministry. My question was a big one: "Professor Bruce, what do you think of women in the ministry and how texts like 1 Cor 14 and 1 Tim 2 apply to the issues at hand." Here was his response, and I shall never forget it and I sum it up here. "First, I think 1 Cor 14 is textually corrupt. Second, I think Paul would roll over in his grave if he thought we were turning his letters into a new Torah. And third, as for what I think about women in ministry, I'm for whatever causes the freedom of the Spirit." What struck me most were answers 2 and 3.”

I have read and appreciated FF Bruce’s writings before, but I always thought of him being a tad bit more conservative in his thought.  A comment like the one above makes you think.  I like the way Scott runs with this, tying in the importance of freedom in the Spirit to the argument of women in ministry.

Locations of visitors to this page
Add to Google
Follow JoeHolda on Twitter
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates