« Home | Hey...I just signed up for something called Indie ... » | Well, it's official. I just got a call from my co... » | My system is down again (for work). With all the ... » | Well, we did our first small group last night…I gu... » | I'm sitting here, looking out my window, watching ... » | Cindy and I had dinner with Rand and Amy Tucker ye... » | I often wonder how people like Jordon Cooper do it... » | I found this on Mark Riddle's blog. I find myself... » | Hi, my name is Joe Holda and this is my blog! My ... » | So here it begins....... » 

Sunday, June 29, 2003 

I hung out last night with the guys at River of Life. Tom (the pastor) pulled me up in front of the church (without advance warning) and had me tell them what we are up to. I gave our basic story over the past few months, and Tom filled in the blanks of the areas that I missed. He has a way of being extremely encouraging. What was cool about the entire thing was his attitude towards us as a new church. Many pastors that I have met seem to feel that new churches are a threat…additional competition. Tom’s attitude was completely different. He told his people that we (Cindy and I) were going to effect people that they could never reach. It seemed like he looked at us more as partners in the same cause then as competitors in the same race.

I bring this up because Cindy went this morning to Christ Community Church in St. Charles (we went to two different services because of Nathan’s foot…see Cindy’s blog). Cindy and I used to be members of CCC many years ago. According to Cindy, the church has grown…really grown. She said that it felt like Willow Creek in size. While there, she ran into an old friend of ours who happens to be on staff (John). We haven’t seen or spoken to him in about three years, so he was curious to hear what we were up to. Cindy mentioned to him that we were working on planting a church in DeKalb. John seemed somewhat surprised and mentioned in passing that they wanted to plant in DeKalb as well. Now, we are in a totally different stream than CCC. But the thought of a well financed church like CCC planting in DeKalb really freaked us out. They would send their people, they would be a lot more professional…and they would have money…. things that most Vineyard church plants do not have. Then it hit me…I was thinking like a businessman, not a follower of Christ. I know this is Jesus’ church that we are planting, not Joe and Cindy’s. And I know that He sent us here…so why should I freak out about another church? There are close to 100,000 people in this area (including the college). Why would I think that all 100,000 would be affected by our message alone? Isn’t there enough room for the Vineyard, CCC and the River of Life (as well as the other churches in the area)?

I realize that not many churches would come out directly and say that they were in competition…but how many are in their hearts (if not the pastors, then the congregation)? What would the church look like if we really believed that we are just a part of the body of Christ instead if thinking that our denomination / church / group / movement is the body of Christ? We teach people that they have certain gifting’s and that gifting makes them part of the body…e.g. foot, head, hand, etc. Wouldn’t that same analogy fit the church as well? The Vineyard seems to know how to do worship and healing…River of Life knows the campus…CCC knows evangelism. If we all waked in the authority that God gave us and blessed the stuff that God gave others, wouldn’t the church be more revenant to people then it is today?

Once again, maybe this is something that God is trying to teach me or heal me of…but I don’t necessarily think that I am alone in this.

Locations of visitors to this page
Add to Google
Follow JoeHolda on Twitter
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates